New Project: Living Space: Bus.

Well, the opportunity presented itself, and we were fortunate enough to be able to capture it.

IMG_1926IMG_1929

We bought a bus! Its a 1989 GMC B6000, with a Wayne chassis. The engine is a Chevrolet 454 V8, 6.0L (366 cubic inches), with an Allison transmission. It is considered a medium duty vehicle. I’m beyond stoked!

Plus, the previous owner had converted it into a sort of “hunting rig,” or “budget motorhome for hanging out in the woods.” He got a lot of the tedium out-of-the-way, so we can pretty much start our rennovations with the flooring.

IMG_1927

Looking towards the front.

IMG_1928

This is looking towards the back.

I know what you’re thinking. “How incredibly righteous is that???” I know man. Seriously.
Haha, anyway, we are going to be living in this thing full time starting in April. Periodically, I will update with pictures, tips, and nightmares. So far, everything’s been smooth, except the power steering line busting (got one on order right now!), and finding a tire whose casing is completely cracked. The important part is that I made it home from the two-hour drive back from where we purchased the vehicle.

Here’s some more pics of the progress:
IMG_1931 IMG_1936

IMG_1932

From the inside, we removed the driver’s chair, and began removing the flooring. I can thank PB Blaster for making the removal of the chair a total breeze. Its a serious must have for working on anything that is old, rusty, or just plain stubborn. I sprayed a little on the bolt from underneath; I waited a little while, a few minutes, then tapped on each bolt a few times and added some more from the top. When we went to remove them about an hour later, I could practically unscrew them by hand (after first loosening, of course.)

We also removed the little “shitter station,” or “poop hole,” which was pretty unnecessary. Hello composting toilet. No, they don’t smell. They are extremely efficient and wonderfully awesome; also, you can take them anywhere! Take them on a bus, on a boat, on a plane… I’m not kidding.

Here’s a picture of the crap we pryed off the floor and threw out the door:

IMG_1933

The brackets for the tank were super fun: I had to hacksaw through the bolts because they just wouldn’t give. The plywood stand is where the toilet was mounted, at some point. The microwave is pretty gross and will be donated after a quick bleach-down…

Okay everybody. We will keep you updated with progress on this thing. Very excited to share this project. Til next time!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s