Installing roof vents and a reflective roof paint.

Now to install one patch on the roof, complete the installation of our two cranking roof vents, and to apply the first layer of something called “SnowRoof,” an expandable (read that to mean: seasonally effective with expansion and contraction), insulating, as well as sun-reflecting roof paint. This stuff is awesome and only cost me about $23 a gallon at my local contractor’s supply store.

The first step after removing the janked-up Air Conditioning units, is to remove the even-more-janked silicone “seal” that was left on the roof. We used a putty knife and a wide flat-head screw driver for this task.

<<You can see a little more of this action on our YouTube Channel: https://youtu.be/FpYRBTqkoD4 >&gt;

IMG_1991

A shot from the bottom. Check out the space between the roof and ceiling!

IMG_1992
Next, I placed strips of what’s called “butyl tape” along the edges where my vent is going to sit. This acts as an expandable seal (seasonally effective, as well as effective for vibration, which occurs during travel), as well as filling in the little indent in the flange of the bottom of the vent, to get a nice, tight fit without any space for movement. (This may make more sense when you’re looking at one of these vents.)

IMG_1993

Now, apply butyl sealant directly to the outline of the vent. I also put some around the roof where it will squish down as I screw it in. We also put more Gap Filler around the opening there, as a quick seal. Also, due to its expanding quality, it actually adds quite a bit of stability.

IMG_1994

IMG_1996

There’s our roof vent! Notice the stuff squishing out around the edges and the screw holes. That’s good because it will keep water out. Its also wise to come back later and do another strip around the edges.

IMG_2013

Now, about that roof patch! I made sure to get the edge under the topmost metal, and fill it liberally with roof sealer. Then I screwed it all back down again, adding roof sealer to each screw hole. Not bad. (Dude had cut a hole in the roof for a vent from his “shower area.” It was literally just a giant hole in the roof.)

IMG_2015

And one last fun thing: the roof paint. This stuff is just awesome! I’m really pleased with the results, as we’ve now had many days of direct, baking-hot sun, and it was never “too hot” in the bus. At least, I know it would have been MUCH hotter without this paint!

IMG_2017

IMG_2016

IMG_2019

The only drawback is its bright color, but that’s what “reflective” tends to do to a paint. I’m more concerned about how it will serve me than how it will look. Overall, VERY pleased with this inexpensive upgrade to the outside of our bus. As an added bonus, it also seals up cracks and gaps as well, and extra sealant is always welcomed.

IMG_2014

I intend to do a second layer, and possibly take it down the sides a little for additional sun-reflection.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s